13 May 2009

Dancing in the Gekko

So, the other night, as I was lying in bed (as I often do) I was bored, so I did what apparently everyone else who owns an iPod touch does, and went on the App Store. Of course, I went straight to games, because I am a gamer. Which is what this blog is about. If you didn’t know that, look at the banner. You idiot.
So one game leapt out at me, something called MGST Lite, which turned out to be Metal Gear Solid Touch, something I had honestly no idea about. So, to find out more, I downloaded the demo, which took ages, I can tell you... But ultimately, it was worth it. The demo gave you three levels, and once I got used to the daft control scheme, I got pretty good. I actually took my iPod to college and played it in Psychology. The same three levels. I actually learnt where the enemies came from. What is wrong with me...
After a lot of hesitation, I decide to take the plunge and buy the full thing. It cost a fiver, and my iTunes credit is running worryingly low, but I did it anyway. I’m still not sure if it was the right choice, but whatever, it gives me something to talk about. I’m not a massive follower of the MG games, but I know a fair bit about them. Basically, the story is nuts. Something about nanites and cyborgs and ninjas and PMCs... I don’t really care if I’m honest. The game works, which I guess is the important thing. As I said, the control scheme is a bit weird, but once you are used to it, you get decent shots at the baddies. It’s fairly repetitive, but encounters with stronger enemies, helicopters and Gekkos, it mixes things up. Oh yeah, note on the Gekkos; would be a hell of a lot scarier if they didn’t moo. And don’t gimme any of that “psychological warfare” crap, it’s just mooing.
There are some sections where you have to use a sniper rifle on far away enemies, which is fine, but sometimes when you “pinch” the screen to use it, you end up aiming at the sky, which sucks, especially when someone is aiming a rail gun at your face. The cross hair often doesn’t move fast enough, so you’ll end up getting shot several times.
The bosses mix up the combat pretty well and provide you with a bit of challenge, although once you’ve died a few times, you essentially know the set pattern in which they attack, so from then on, it’s just a case of good aiming.
At time of writing, I am stuck on a boss battle with Crying Wolf, who has the aforementioned rail gun. Oh and there’s a blizzard, which makes sniping her very difficult, especially when the screen starts to frost up... But fingers crossed, I’ll kick the crap out of her soon enough. Go random violence.
Oh, and I found out something amazing. The rail gun is a genuine weapon. Who knew? Not me, that's for sure.
Stay awesome till Sunday, y’all.
Metal Gear Solid Touch

No comments:

Post a Comment