4 Jun 2009

Going through the Motions

E3. Every year we get together on the internet to watch the press conferences, and every year we are disappointed. Except we weren't this year! Well, except Nintendo.

As is the norm on the net, I'll whiz through each conference and what I thought of it.

Microsoft; Almost bloody missed this thanks to Gamespot's live feed... Which would have been lame. But Microsoft was good. Actually that's a lie, it was the best of all three. It had Beatles which the other two couldn't top. Both Tony Hawk and Modern Warfare don't particularly interest me, but Final Fantasy XIII did. Weird since I left that franchise after the problems I had with X-2. I think that's where FF lost it's way. Shadow Complex = yes. Joyride = meh. Left 4 Dead 2 shocked me, very fast sequel release. Splinter Cell looked good, but I wouldn't buy it. Forza 2 is a racing game, next. Halo ODST looks pretty generic, Reach interested be cause I read the book. Alan Wake = looks interesting. Facebook and Twitter on the 360 isn't really surprising. MGS Rising on the other hand is. Awesome. In my opinion, stuff like Project Natal is the future. I was honestly amazed by the menu scrolling crap. Milo is PROBABLY not that good, but it doesn't matter. Microsoft Conference = good.

Nintendo; Missed both the beginning and the middle of this, but I'm caught up now, and this had a rising scale of interest. New Super Mario Bros. Wii will be really popular, but also lame. Wii Fit Plus must have pissed off a lot of people. We saw Wii Sports Resort last year, altough I like the idea of the island becoming a constant thing. Crystal Bearers looks quite interesting, may investigate further. I'm sure that Bowser's Inside Story wasn't news. Explain what kind police force offers jobs to criminals, I said as COP appeared. User generated content rears its head on the DSi, as well as Facebook. Damn. Oh yay, Spirit Tracks, again. Iwata, in my opinion talks too much about too little. I'm copyrighting the idea for using the Vitality Sensor in some survival horror game. Also, it's a downright stupid idea. That's it Nintendo, I'm leavi- OMG SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2! But seriously, that's cool. Yoshi in 3D. The Conduit = meh. Darkside = weird camera. Dead Space = hmmm. I don't even like Metroid that much, but Other M looks sweet. Eat lazer beem, spaze dragon! Boring press conference, too many numbers, some interesting things.

Sony; First off, I hate the guy who presents this, Jack Something. He always seems really smug. But this wasn't a bad conference... Just it wasn't good either. The flashy intro sequence was TACKY as hell. Lots and lots of numbers. Hooray for stats. Uncharted 2 looked nice, and the sidekick was English, which made it go up in my ratings. The game then dropped when the idiot main character said "We could have been in that!" refering to a collapsing building. Idiot. MAG again, oh fantastic. Nobody cares! PSP things feels a little ironic when UMD has failed epically... But I still want one. SenseMe... So it's Genius then. If I had lots of money, I'd get a PSP Go... Grand Turismo PSP... Is a racing game... Which I have nothing to say about. Hideo Kojima making another MGS game, unsurprisingly... with millions of Snakes. Not for Indy then. RE; Portable... Great, another game I can't get. Lots of PSP games coming out. You know, there was two many montages. No-one else did montages. Last year Sony used LittleBigPlanet for a presentation, this year... MONTAGE! Agent appears... for three seconds. Assassin's Creed 2 looks pretty much exactly the same with more flying. I'm playin' dat. Final Fantasy XIII again, and suddenly, Final Fantasy XIV! Gasp! The guy unvailing the new EyeToy thing was as nervous as hell. Probably because he realised he was just combining the Wii with Project Natal. Modnation looked dull. I really hope The Last Guardian is some EPIC pet sim of your crow-dog. GT5 is visually spot on. GoW3, despite what the guy says, bears no resembelance to real Greek mythology. LONG press conference. Completely irrelevant for me.

Two words sum up the conferences; motion control. Apparently it's the future. SURPRISE.

Good night y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment