15 May 2011

Acronyms and Exams

It's all systems go right now for me. I've got my exams coming up across the first two weeks of June so I'm working about eight hours a day to try and cram an entire academic years worth of Biology into my tiny brain. So that's fun. How I live for those five minute breaks between hours.

In those five minute breaks, as well as my lunch breaks, I've been trying to fit as much gaming is as I can. I've missed my TF2 practice whilst I've been at home, and it feels good to be back. The Replay update IS a lot of fun, and I've captured and edited some fun replays. Unfortunately, I'm the only one whose ever going to be able to enjoy them since the game seems to crash every time I attempt to save a take as a movie. But trust me, they are all brilliant.

I'm always getting better and my class builds are far better now. I grabbed the intelligence a few times as the Scout, as well as bludgeoning a hapless Medic to death on the way. I still like playing the Medic, but it is literally the most annoying part of the game when a person I have been healing for their WHOLE LIFE, and they are STILL crying out for a medic. I'M HEALING YOU. THIS IS THE MAXIMUM ABOUT OF HEALING YOU I CAN BE. STOP ASKING.


Also, I've got the Wrangler now, so my Engineer build is basically complete. Taking control of my sentry was a strange experience at first but now I'm dangerous with that thing. The Engineer is quite a unique character in TF2 and probably multiplayer FPS games in general, in that he's not really himself designed for combat, or killing anyone through dexterity or gaming skill. The skill comes in intelligent placing of sentries and dispensers, which couldn't really be more removed from twitch FPS gaming if it tried. Yeah, I know the Medic is kinda unique, but it still relies on the ability to move fast away from fire. When you think about it the Medic is basically a couple of extra hit-points for the Heavy. Like a sentient suit of body armour. Which is German.

On an entirely unrelated note, I recently submitted a pitch to write an article for a gaming website. It would have been my first proper writing job, and unfortunately I got rejected. I don't hold anything against the site; I appreciate they probably have tons of pitches and they have to choose the best ones. It was a bit disheartening since it was my first rejection (as well as first submission) but I've picked myself up and am staying positive.

E3 is just around the corner, and for the third year in a row, it's fallen dead in the middle of my exams. I know that E3 is always around June, but I swear to God, it's always right in the middle.
I'm pretty relaxed about the whole thing though. I'm not waiting to see anything that badly, and whilst I'm sure they'll have some good announcements at the press conferences, I'll probably just have it on as background noise whilst I'm reading about myosin filaments or something. The excitement of my life, eh?

Since I won't be doing that much gaming over the coming weeks, I won't be posting as often, which is a shame cause I feel like I've just starting hitting my stride with them. I might finish the Minecraft post which has been hanging around forever, but I'm not making any promises.

Hopefully I'll be back posting around the 17th when I'll be back home for the summer, and have a whole 10 days free before I start my summer job. Fucking economy.

Until next, wish me luck, and I'll see y'all when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment