31 Dec 2012

Twenny Twelve

Blog! I sometimes write you!

I'm doing this more out of necessity rather than want, as it's less than six hours till 2013 and I feel I should attempt to put a lid on this year, gaming wise. So here we are. I actually thought about doing a top ten list until I realised I haven't even played ten games that came out this year. So in lieu of that, here's something else.

Insert hilarious caption here.

I got Assassin's Creed 3, on the day of release. It's no secret that I'm a big fan of the franchise, and I was looking forward to it, despite some lukewarm response from the press. SO I played it all the way through a generally tried to refrain from forming too much of an opinion until I'd finished it.

When I had finished it, my opinion was not great.

AC3 is a fine game, but nothing spectacular. Normally I'd been fine with that, but this is a game I've been waiting for since 2007. I wanted spectacular, I wanted excellence, I wanted near perfection (Yes I'm demanding.) What I got was a mediocre game sprinkled with brilliance and disappointment in equal measure. That's what's really frustrating. AC3 has signs of being such a fantastic game but is crippled by some bad gameplay design choices and terrible bugs.

Also the Desmond story ends with such a damp squib it's embarrassing, so fuck you Ubisoft *drops mic*

You know what, let's wrap things up here. I have a party to go to.

Borderlands 2 was something else I played this year, it was just let the first one only improved in EVERY area (except the UI) and was a fantastic example of how a sequel can be done. Nine outta ten.

Mass Effect 3 came out in March and I still haven't finished it, because I lost interest half way through but despite that I still enjoyed what I played of it and also the multiplayer wasn't half bad either. Eight outta ten.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection got released this year, apparently, and now I have it, but I've only watched the intro cutscene, but based on my memories of it from several years ago, I award it an A- out of 100.

I got Dishonored for Christmas and I wish I'd got XCOM. Bat out of hell.

And finally Punch Quest. One of the finest iOS games I've ever played, and all joking aside, probably one of the purest, most enjoyable games ever made. Ten out of ten, and my game of 2012.

Well that's that then. 2012 was bigged up to be something amazing and turned out to be a mixed bag at best (just like AC3). Let's hope 2013 is better.

See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment