4 Mar 2012

Livin' in America

I'm back. Turns out that bout of depression was a cold, and I'm a drama queen.

So you've probably heard the news by now. Assassin's Creed 3 is happening. And if you didn't...

There's so much awesome about this, I have nothing
to add but this self-referential statement


First we had that image leaked, then one of the devs tweeted the box art, then GameInformer announced their new cover, and now we have tons of info on the upcoming release thanks to NeoGaf.

As a long time fan of the series, I'm very much excited. Why? Well, I'm glad you asked, voice in my head!
  • It's got a new protagonist and a new setting. I love Ezio. He was an excellent character, and had a brilliant run. But he was worn thin in Revelations. In fact, now I look back on Revelations and it occurs that game was a bit messy. I'm glad we'll be exploring exciting new locales with Connor Ratohnhaketon in New York and Boston
  • It's about a Native American in the American Civil War. I love the idea of explore both of these things, given how they are so rarely touched upon in games.
  • The idea of exploring a wide open landscape isn't really something I'd even thought of before, but honestly it sounds like it could be great. Hunting for animals as resource gathering? Awesome, but not as awesome as climbing trees!
  • Fighting with a tomahawk? This sounds fun, but I really hope I can throw it as well. But also, a proper gun!
  • Connor is half British, which means it'll be mildly less awkward murdering Redcoats the entire game. Seriously though, I'm looking forward to seeing how the American Revolution is involved in the whole Assassin/Templar conflict.
  • I know we aren't supposed to assume "long dev time equals great game" but I'm really glad that this game has been in development for so long (three years). As much as I love Brotherhood, you could tell it wasn't made with the same approach as AC2. This new game is looking like it has been built from the ground up, and stands to be a leap forward for the series.
So that's why I'm excited. Shall we just give it the GOTY now? AC3 is getting formally announced tomorrow evening at time of writing, so keep your eyes on the official site at 5pm.

Other things I feel you need to know about; Call Of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land review over at darkzero. Not a bad little game, but has a few fatal flaws.

Oh look I have written more Final Fantasy related nonsense. I thought I left that in February. Anyway, the "Why I Hate" thing is probably going to be a regular piece I do over at The Newb Review, so be sure to keep an eye out. 

Until next time, Assassins.

No comments:

Post a Comment